BREAD CRUMBS OR CROUTONS HOMEMADE (SALLYE)
How to Make BREAD CRUMBS OR CROUTONS HOMEMADE (SALLYE)
- Line a large cooking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Turn oven to 325º
- ***Any kind of leftover bread will work. I've used hamburger or hot dog buns, white bread wheat bread, homemade bread and other kinds. It's okay to mix kinds of bread in the same batch.
- Cut or tear bread into 1-1/2" cubes (approximately.
Spread the bread pieces out in a single layer.
- Spray bread generously with cooking spray (again your choice....I always use olive oil),
Gently mix the bread so that all surfaces are covered with oil.
- ***** HERBS AND SPICES.
Use your choice of herbs/spice seasoning mix to coat the bread.
HOMEMADE ITALIAN SEASONING MIX (SALLYE)
HERBES DE PROVENCE MIX (SALLYE)
SOUTHWESTERN SEASONED SALT (SALLYE)
DIY "MRS DASH" SEASONING MIX (SALLYE)
These are some I use at different times, but use your favorites.
Sometimes I add Kraft Parmesan cheese to the seasoning mix.
- Place baking sheet in preheated oven and turn timer on to 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, check bread. Stir and continue baking until bread is a toasty brown. (about 10 more minutes)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
NOTE: FOR CROUTONS, STOP HERE.
- FOR BREAD CRUMBS, ADD THE FOLLOWING STEPS:
Place bread pieces in food processor and process on medium to high speed until desired coarseness is reached.
Dependent on the amount of bread you've toasted, you may need to process more than one batch.
- You can also reserve some of the bread pieces for croutons.
So easy and so much better and cheaper than "store bought" bread crumbs.