Boston Brown Rolls
1 cwhole wheat flour
1 cyellow cornmeal
1 1/2 cbread flour
3 Tbspdry buttermilk powder
1 tspbaking soda
2 Tbspbrown sugar
2 tspactive dry yeast
1/2 cdark molasses
1 cwarm water
How to Make Boston Brown Rolls
- Stir together all dry ingredients, including yeast, in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine molasses and water and heat to 100 degrees. Whisk in egg, then add quickly to dry ingredients.
- Knead with a dough hook or by hand until until smooth and elastic, working in more bread flour as necessary to prevent stickiness. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch down and allow to rest about 10 minutes. Knead a few more times on an oil-coated surface, or in a large greased bowl.
- Divide dough into thirds, then divide each third into 6 balls. Place one ball of dough into each of 18 greased muffin cups. Cover and allow to rise in a draft-free place about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake rolls about 24-28 minutes, until top is firm and rolls sound hollow when tapped. Brush tops with melted butter after removing from oven.