Bahamian - Johnny Cake
If you’re visiting the Bahamas chances are likely high that you’ll encounter the Island staple “Johnny Cake”.
It has a texture that resembles a cross between a dense bread and a slightly sweet cake.
It doesn’t fall within the realm of desserts, it’s actually more comparable to a bread, albeit not typically as light, airy or savory as most varieties.
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tblsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
How to Make Bahamian - Johnny Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2Mix all dry ingredients together.
- 3Add egg, milk and oil to dry mixture and blend well.
- 4Pour into 8 inch square pan.
- 5Bake 30-35 minutes until slightly brown on top.
- 6Serve hot or cold with butter, honey or preserves.