Old Fashioned Bran Muffins
I use “Grandma’s Molasses”...don’t use blackstrap. I also use regular buttermilk...don’t use reduced fat (it’s like water).
You could add nuts to the recipe, if you wish. The yield would increase to up to 24 muffins.
Freeze some for later.
The vanilla is optional...I happen to like it...although it is not traditionally included.
1 cwheat bran
3/4 capplesauce, unsweetened
1/2 ccooking oil
3/4 tspkosher salt
2 largeeggs, beaten
2 1/4 call purpose flour
1 tspbaking soda
2 tspbaking powder
1 tspvanilla (optional)
How to Make Old Fashioned Bran Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Reduce to 325 degrees, if using a convection oven. Using (2) 12 regular sized (3.5 oz) muffin tins, place (22) paper and/or foil baking cups/liners in all but two holes. Pour water 1/2 way up in the remaining holes.
- In a large mixing bowl, measure all of the following: bran, buttermilk, applesauce, molasses, oil, sugar, salt. Mix well and let sit for 10 min.
- While the bran is soaking, beat the two eggs and set aside.
Measure the raisins and set aside.
Measure the flour and mix well with the baking soda and baking powder and set aside.
- After the bran has had time to soak, add eggs, raisins, flour, and vanilla. Do not overbeat.
- Portion a scant 1/3 cup batter in each of the 22 muffin cups. The batter will come about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way up.
- Place in oven and bake for about 22 minutes. The tops will spring back when touched. Check at 19 -20 minutes, as ovens vary.
- Remove from oven and place on a rack to cool for 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan and continue to cool on th rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.