BANANA/BRAN/CREAM CHEESE MUFFINS
1 cgranulated sugar
1 cbrown sugar
1 cvegetable oil
2 tsppure vanilla extract (for the muffin batter)
2 cmashed, ripe bananas
3 cnatural bran, or bran buds
1 1/2 cbuttermilk (if you do not have buttermilk, simply mix 1 tbsp lemon juice to the milk, and set aside)
3 call purpose flour
3 tspbaking powder
3 tspbaking soda
1 cdry cranberries, or raisins, or combination of both
FORthe cream cheese filling
1 pkgcream cheese spread, (400 gms) softened to room temperature
1/4 cicing sugar
1 tsppure vanilla extract
How to Make BANANA/BRAN/CREAM CHEESE MUFFINS
- Muffin Tins - Greased or Paper Lined.
Preheat oven to 375 C (190C).
Hint: Set oven preheat to 385F. Pop the filled tins into the oven; close the door and immediately drop the temperature setting to 375C.
In this way, you will not lose any precious baking temperature when you open the oven door,initially.
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
Mix together, Cream Cheese, Icing Sugar and 1 tsp vanilla, and set aside for later use.
- In a bowl, combine the sugars and oil. Beat in eggs, one at a time, the 2 tsp vanilla measure, and mashed bananas; mix well.
Add Bran and Milk.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add to Banana/Bran mixture.
- Stir until ingredients are just mixed - do not overmix.
Fold in cranberries and/or raisin combination.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins - 1/3 full
- Spoon cream cheese mixture, evenly divided, onto batter in muffin tins.
- Spoon balance of muffin batter onto cream cheese, filling to the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
You might need an extra 5 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Allow to cool on racks, in tins for a few minutes. Turn out, and allow muffins to cool completely on racks, before freezing (if you choose).
Serve warm, or cool, or however you wish. After your initial taste you will wish to hide the batch for yourself, but by all means, do serve them. Your popularity will increase and your family will bow down in homage to your brilliant kitchen prowess.