1/4 cbutter, soft
1 cself-rising cornmeal
2/3 cself-rising flour
1/4 tspbaking soda
6-8 slicebacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1/3 cfinely diced dried apples
How to Make Apple-Bacon-Corn Muffins
- Heat oven to 425°F. Grease 12 muffin pan cups, or line with paper or silicon baking cups.
- Combine butter and sugar in mixing bowl. Beat by hand until creamy, about 150 strokes. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in buttermilk, blending well.
- Add all remaining ingredients and beat by hand just until mixed; do not over-mix. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake 16-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Serve with butter; may also crumble in bowl and top with sorghum or molasses.
~ For a more pronounced bacon flavor, substitute 2 tablespoons bacon grease for half of the butter.
~ This may also be baked in a greased preheated cast iron skillet. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown, and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Don't have self-rising cornmeal or self-rising flour? Then use plain cornmeal and plain flour, and add 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt with the flour.