Perfect Pizza Dough For Grilling Pizzas
This recipe will mainly focus on this incredible pizza dough and the method. This crust is tender and light on the inside and gives a light crunch on the outside. Perfect! Feel free to use your favorite sauce and toppings... Let your imagination run wild! If you enjoy brick oven, wood-fire pizzas, you will absolutely love this method. Enjoy!
- 1 cup plus 2 tb. warm water
- 2 teaspoons or 1 package red star quick-rising yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups flour
- garlic powder
- olive oil
How to Make Perfect Pizza Dough For Grilling Pizzas
- 1With a stand mixer such as Kitchen Aid equipped with a dough hook, combine warm water and one package of quick-rise or instant yeast. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- 2Add flour and salt and mix until just combined. Then turn to speed 2 and knead for 5-6 minutes. Dough should be slightly sticky, but not gooey or dry and should clean sides and bottom of mixer bowl. Place dough in oiled bowl, turn over once, cover with sprayed saran wrap and let rise until at least doubled, 1-2 hours. (I turn my oven on 200 degrees and and set the bowl on a hot pad on top of the stove.) Better to have it over-rise than under-rise.
- 3Preheat grill to med-low. When dough has doubled, divide dough in half. Form into two rustic, oblong pizza shapes and place on generously oiled cookie sheet. No need to make an outer "lip" on the crust. Sprinkle top with garlic powder.
- 4Turn grill to low. Place dough, oiled side down, on grill for 1-2 minutes, or until light, golden brown grill marks form. With tongs, remove dough to same generously oiled cookie sheet, grill marks up. (You want the cookie sheet to have adequate oil on it to grease the bottom of the dough.) Add favorite sauce and toppings. Don't overload the crust or it may be hard to handle. Slice vegetable toppings such as fresh mushrooms, onions, etc. very thinly so that they cook through.
- 5Return pizzas to grill and cook covered until bottom crust has beautiful, golden grill marks and cheese has melted, 5-10 minutes on my grill, but your grill may cook faster or slower. Remove from grill and enjoy!