Greek Flatbread "Lagana"
Hope you are not intimidated by the many steps.We love this bread. Hope you give it a try and enjoy it like we do.
1 lbbread flour
11 ozwater,room tempterature
10 gless than 1/2 oz dry yeast
10 gless than 1/2 oz salt
2 Tbspolive oil
How to Make Greek Flatbread "Lagana"
- Preheat oven at 446F fan
- Combine the water, yeast and sugar in a mixer's bowl.
Set aside for 15-20 minutes so the yeast can activate.
Add the flour, salt and olive oil.
- Place in your mixing bowl and beat for 5-10 minutes. Begin by beating in low speed and gradually turn up the speed. The more you beat the hard floor, the more soft and elastic your dough will be. If you do not have a mixer, knead by hand for at least 10 minutes.
When ready, remove dough from mixer and transfer to a bowl. By dusting your hands with some flour the dough won't stick.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for one to two hours, until id doubles in size. Push down the dough and divided in to two equal halves.
- Lay out a sheet of parchment paper on to a working surface. Add your dough, dust with some flour and roll out. If it is to dificult to roll out, dust with some more flour. Roll out in any size and shape that you like.
- Transfer to a baking pan, lined with parchment paper. Simply lift the edges to transfer. Repeat the exact same process for the other half of the dough.
- To make the coating, combine the water and sugar in a small bowl. Stir until the sugar desolves completely. Brush coating over both flatbreads and sprinkle with a handful amount of sesame seeds over the top.
- Set them aside for 20 minutes so they can rise again. When they have risen use your index finger to make indentations all over the dought. This gives the "lagana" its characteristic appearance. Drizle with some extra virgin oil and bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- TIP: Make sure your over is properly preheated so that the flatbread will turn out as crunchy as possible.
When golden and crunchy remove from oven and serve it with the great traditional, "Taramosalata" .