Vermont maple syrup bread
2 pkgdry yeast ( i use the fast acting instant dry yeast) which is 2 1/4 tsp.per packet)
1 1/2 c.milk, scalded
1/2 c.real maple syrup( vermont
10-12 c.flour,sifted( i couldn't work 10 cups in)
How to Make Vermont maple syrup bread
- Okay.. I'm gonna write this out as is written..that said... Step1.Sprinkle yeast in the half cup of water, stir to dissolve and set aside.In a small saucepan scald the milk.Stir in the butter and let cool five (5) minutes.
- Pour contents of pan into a large mixing bowl.Stir in the maple syrup and beaten eggs.When mixture has cooled to room temperature( my note: if your maple syrup is cold from the fridge you will find that it is already room temperature..), stir in the dissolved yeast.
- Gradually stir in enough of the flour , (mixed with salt), to make a stiff dough.
- MY NOTE: start with about 5 cups of flour, mixed with the salt..I had a little trouble with this..as I put in too much flour, so ended up adding a 1/2 cup more of the maple syrup..I honestly think you won't need much more then that..Also I used the dough hooks on my stand mixer( not a heavy duty mixer either.. It was a workout for my poor mixer..lol) to mix in the flour..
- Next: place dough ball in a greased bowl, cover and set in a warm place to rise to double in bulk. Punch down and let rise again til double.Punch down, place on floured hard surface and knead 5-8 minutes.
- Divide into 2loaves, place in greased 9x5 inch bread pans and bake in preheated 375°F. Oven 20 minutes..
- MY NOTE: On AFTER I PLACED IN LOAF PANS, I let them rise again til about double..also I rolled the dough out into a rectangle, tolled dough up, pinched seem, and flattened ends and slightly tucked under..then placed into loaf pans..
- Also it says 20 min.mine was done in 15 min. When they came out of the oven I brushed butter over 1 loaf..
- ON ADDING THE FLOUR: start with about 5 cups and gradually add a little at a time to make sure you don't get too much flour..