Cranberry Orange Bread
I have also made this recipe Gluten Free by simply using one of the "recipe ready" gluten free flours such as Namaste or Domata which substitute on a 1 for 1 basis. Turns out great and my GF friends love it.
- 3 medium
- oranges, juiced
- 3/4 c
- orange juice, fresh
- 1 tsp
- orange zest
- 1 large
- egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp
- canola oil
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 3/4 c
- 1 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 c
- cranberries, fresh, frozen or dried, chopped
- 1/2 c
- walnuts, chopped
- 1 c
- powdered sugar
- orange juice, enough to make a glaze
- 1/2 - 1 tsp
- orange zest, to your taste
How to Make Cranberry Orange Bread
- 1Prepare one large or 3 small loaf pans by rubbing the insides with a small amount of shortening. Cut a piece of wax paper or parchment paper to line the bottom of the pan(s).
- 2Finely shred the peel from 2 oranges or use a microplane zester to remove the peel. Set aside.
- 3Squeeze the choice from all the oranges. Measure out 3/4 C of the juice, reserve the rest for later.
- 4Whisk together the egg, the 3/4 C orange juice, one teaspoon of the zest, and the canola oil until well blended.
- 5In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and the sugar.
- 6Stir the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients and stir just until moistened.
- 7Gently stir in the cranberries and nuts. Turn out into the prepared pans.
- 8Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes for one large loaf pan, or 30-40 minutes if baking 3 small loaves. Test with a toothpick to make sure the center is baked through.
- 9Make the glaze. Stir 1 tablespoon orange juice into the powdered sugar. Add more orange juice by the teaspoon until you have a drizzling consistency. (About as thick as honey) Stir in the remaining orange zest - there should be about a teaspoon left.
- 10Drizzle the glaze evenly over the baked loaves when they are almost room temperature. You may like to prick the loaves first so some of the glaze gets soaked into the loaf.