Recipe & photo: allrecipes.com
1/2 cbutter, softened
1/4 cwhite sugar
1 call purpose flour
1/4 cground almonds
3/8 cwhite sugar
3 Tbspgolden syrup
1 can(s)(14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
8 ozhigh quality milk chocolate squares
1/3 ctoasted and sliced almonds
NOTE: IF YOU CAN'T FIND GOLDEN SYRUP, YOU MAY SUBSTITUTE EQUAL PARTS HONEY.
How to Make CARAMEL SHORTBREAD
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup sugar until pale. Add flour and ground almonds to form a soft dough.
- Press dough into an 8-inch square pan that has been greased and lined with parchment paper. OR press equal amounts of dough into 2 8-cup muffin tins.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until pale golden brown. Leave in pan until cool.
- FOR TOPPING: Cook 3/4 cup butter, 3/8 cup sugar, syrup,and sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan on low heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 5 to 7 minutes until it has thickened and has a pale caramel color.
- Spread caramel on cooled shortbread, and let set about 40 minutes. Melt chocolate over low heat. Spread melted chocolate on top of caramel and sprinkle with toasted almonds.