Whole Wheat Buns for Hotdogs and Brats
1 1/4 cmilk, lukewarm
1 largeegg, beaten
6 Tbspbutter, room temperature, cut into pieces
2 1/2 cbread flour (substitute with all purpose flour if necessary)
1 1/2 cwhite whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
3 Tbspdry milk powder
2 tspdough enhancer (optional, helps bread last longer and improves texture)
2 tspyeast (bread machine yeast is best)
How to Make Whole Wheat Buns for Hotdogs and Brats
- Place ingredients in bread machine in order listed. Run on dough setting.
- Spray two baking sheets with cooking spray.
Once dough is finished, remove from bread machine and divide into three equal pieces. Cut each piece into four equal sections.
- Press each section into an oval shape. Adjust dough by adding/taking away so that each piece is approximately the same size. Fold oval towards you and gently pinch edges together. Roll each piece back and forth until it is approximately six inches in length. Place seam-side down on baking sheets allowing at least one inch between rolls.
- Preheat oven to 350. Place rolls in a warm place away from drafts. Allow to rise for approximately 30 minutes until rolls are puffy.
- Brush rolls with milk. Bake for 15-18 minutes until browned. Check at 15 minutes.
- Remove rolls from baking sheets and cool on racks. For brat/hotdog buns, split down the middle. For sandwich buns, cut in half.