Southern Hot Water Cornbread
Marilyn Renfro Gore
How to Make Southern Hot Water Cornbread
- 1Bring water to boil. Heat about a half inch of grease in cast iron skillet.
- 2Mix cornmeal and salt in large plastic (heatproof) bowl. Add enough boiling water to wet cornmeal and make it stick together.
- 3Chef's Note: We prefer yellow cornmeal as it gives more of a corn flavor when fried. A lot of people prefer white cornmeal. Two big NONO's! NO sugar and NO leavening!
- 4Rinse hands in cold water to prevent burning and sticking. Take a scoop of cornmeal and pat out with your hands into a pone or patty. Fry. Continue until pan is full.
- 5Let fry until yellow and firm on one side and then flip to cook other side. I make my pones some thick and some thin to please everyone! Experiment and find the right size to suit your family.
- 6Let drain on paper towels. Leftovers can be reheated in oven.