Mamas Authentic Flour Tortillas
How to Make Mamas Authentic Flour Tortillas
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and stir well. Cut butter up into small pieces and add it to dry mixture. Mix it all together with your hands and massage the dry mixture with the butter so it is distributed evenly.
- Add hot water slowly, 1/2 cup at a time and mix by hand. You may use more or less water. Make sure the dough isn't too sticky or too tough.
- Heavily flour a clean hard surface such as a cutting board and place the ball of dough on it. Then I usually wash my hands. Come back to the dough and kneed and massage it for about 3-5 minutes then place it back into a clean bowl and cover it with a dry towel. Allow to rest for 1 hour. (I usually drink a beer (or two)and clean up behind myself in the kitchen)
- Lastly, divide the dough into palm sized balls and with a rolling pin, roll them out, on a dry, lightly floured surface, into circles that will fit your pan. Cook them one by one on a medium heat cast iron pan, comale, or a non stick pan. I place them in the pan and wait for plenty of bubbles and flip once. If the bubbled areas on both sides are browned, they are ready. Place them into a tortilla warmer or wrap them in foil or a clean towel.
- Serve them with any dish or enjoy them nice and hot, spread with butter.