Boston Brown Bread
How to Make Boston Brown Bread
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 2Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add molasses and buttermilk* and blend well.
- 3Spray a 1# coffee can (or 4 cup steamed pudding mold) with cooking spray and fill with batter. Cover tightly with foil and tie string or rubber band around the top. If pudding mold comes with a lid, use that.
- 4Place mold in a deep kettle and add boiling water halfway up the mold. Cover and steam over moderate heat for 1 1/2 hours, replacing water as needed.
- 5Remove from mold. To cut while hot, take a string around the bread, crossing and pulling the ends.