☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 cmilk and water mixed(2 tbl water)
4 call purpose flour
1 tspmixed spice(1/4 tsp. nutmeg; 1/4 tsp. cinnamon; 1/4 tsp. allspice; 1/4 tsp. cardamom
1/2 cgolden raisins
1/2 ccandied orange peel or apricots chopped
How to Make Bara Brith
- CANDIED ORANGE PEEL
- Turn mixture on floured boardwater
Rinse the oranges.
Cut the top and bottom off each orange and score the skin into quarters.
Remove the skin (peel and pith, the white part), and cut the skin into strips about ¼” wide. Wrap the oranges in plastic wrap to store for other use.
Place the strips of peel in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
Set on the stove on high heat and bring to a boil. Drain the water from the peels and repeat this process twice more.
In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and ¾ cup water.
Pour the sugar water into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Let the mixture cook for 8-9 minutes at a constant simmer.
Add the peel and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, adjusting heat as necessary to maintain the simmer. Avoid stirring, as this will cause crystallation. If necessary, swirl the pan to make sure that all of the peels get covered with the syrup. At the end of this period, the peels should be translucent.
Drain any remaining syrup from the peels and set aside for other use (perhaps tea?!) There will probably be only a tablespoon or two of syrup left. Spread the peels out on a drying rack and leave to dry for 4-5 hours. Store in an airtight container.
- Mix yeast and sugar. Heat the milk/water mixture to lukewarm. Mix in with the yeast.
- Mix flour, spice and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in yeast mixture. Stir.
- Cover with a cloth and leave in a warm place to proof for 30 minutes. Melt the butter.
- Add to the gently proofing mixture. Sprinkle with some of the extra flour. Leave for another 30 minutes
- Beat the egg and add to the dough. Knead well and mix in fruit. Turn mixture on to floured board and knead until smooth.
- Grease 2 loaf pans. Divide mixture into pans. Let proof in tins for another 30 minutes.
- Bake in hot oven 400*F for 15 minutes. Turn heat down to 350*F and bake for another 35 minutes.
- Cool on a wire tray and leave one day before eating. Slice and serve with butter.