☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 1/2 cbread flour
1/2 tspinstant dry yeast
1 cluke-warm water
1 largepot of water (for boiling)
How to Make Bagels
- In a large bowl, lightly mix together flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add yeast and water, then knead together ingredients with hands to create a sticky but manageable dough.
- Take dough out onto flat floured surface.
- Knead dough firmly with your hands until the dough is no longer lumpy and powdery, approximately 15min.
- Add sprinkles of water or flour as necessary to keep the dough manageable — it will get elastic but pretty stiff.
- Roll out dough into long tube and cut 1 inch sections as seen in picture.
- Use your finger to poke a hole into the center of each piece.
- Cover the bagels with plastic wrap and let rest for about 15 minutes (30-40 min during winter time).
- In the meantime, fill a large pot with water and a teaspoon of sugar and bring to a simmer.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- When the dough is ready, carefully drop them into the water (doing batches of 2 at a time) and let them simmer for about 15 seconds on each side, flipping them only once.
- The bagels should float when ready.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove bagels and place onto a baking sheet.
- When all bagels are boiled and no baking sheet, bake for approx. 15 minutes, or until golden brown.