☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3 cself rising flour
1 largehen's egg size lump of solid crisco
1 cself rising flour
How to Make Homemade Biscuits (Catheads)
- Use a large flat sided bowl and put in three cups of flour,make a well in the middle and put a large(hen sized egg ) of solid crisco in the well.Pour milk little by little into well as you are working with one of your hands,squeezing the flour ,milk and crisco together until incorporated together.Not too wet.
- Should look like a lump of bread dough when all together.You will have to wash your sticky hand and then use the one cup of flour a few sprinkles at a time to get dough looking right.Save some of the one cup flour to use in a min.
- When dough looks like bread dough in a fat roll,just pinch off a small hand full with extra flour on both hands now,so you can roll it between your palms quickly into a smooth ball.Have a large 13x9 greased cookie pan or sheet ready and put each ball of dough onto it as you finish each one.
- Now this is where they get the name cat head biscuits from!You take your knuckles with a little butter or crisco across them and smash down the biscuit slightly.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 to 20 min. Watch to see that as soon as they get golden brown on top that you take them out of the oven.Melt some butter in the middle of one and some cane syrup or honey or tomato gravy on top of one of these.Man this is country!
- This will make around 13 large biscuits when they come out of the oven.These freeze very well in freezer ziplock baggies and just pull some out as you need them.This is the old fashioned way that our grannies made the biscuits,I learned from two of the very best.