Brazilian Cheese Bread
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1 c
- whole milk
- 1/2 c
- vegetable oil
- 1 tsp
- 2 c
- (10 ounces) tapioca flour (i found mine in the gluten-free section of the grocery store)
- 3/4 c
- parmesan cheese (get a small block of parmesan and shred it yourself... it makes a big difference)
- 3/4 c
- sharp or medium cheddar cheese, shredded (shred yourself.. just like the parmesan)
How to Make Brazilian Cheese Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the milk, oil, and salt in the saucepan, and whisking occasionally, bring it to a gentle boil over medium heat. Add all of the tapioca flour to the saucepan and stir until you see no more dry tapioca flour.
- 2Remove from heat as soon as you see big bubbles coming through the milk. The dough will be grainy and gelatinous at this point. Transfer the dough to the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. (Alternatively, you can do the next few steps by hand.
- 3(Be prepared for a work-out.) Beat the dough for a few minutes at medium speed until it smooths out and has cooled enough that you can hold your finger against the dough for several seconds. Whisk the eggs together in a small bowl. With the mixer on medium, beat the eggs into the dough in two additions.
- 4Wait until the first addition has been fully incorporated into the dough before adding the second. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. With the mixer on medium, beat in the cheese until fully incorporated. The resulting dough will be very sticky, stretchy, and soft with a consistency between cake batter and cookie dough.
- 5Using an ice cream scoop, a tablespoon measure, or a dinner spoon, scoop rounded portions of the dough into mounds on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Space the mounds an inch or two apart. Dip your scoop in water or spray with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- 6Transfer the sheet with the puffs to the oven and bake for 25-28 minutes, until the puffs have puffed, the outsides are dry, and they are JUST starting to color. Do not over bake! Cool briefly and eat.