1-2heads of escarole, cleaned and drained. escarole will wilt down to by a much smaller amount when cooked.
3 Tbspextra virgin olive oil
1 mediumonion, chopped small
3 clovegarlic, minced
Pinchred pepper flakes
1/2 cprosciutto, diced
5 wholepickled hot cherry peppers, chopped
1/2 cchicken stock
1/2 cbread crumbs
1/4 cparmesan cheese, grated
How to Make Utica Greens
- Clean and drain the Escarole by filling the sink or extra large bowl with cold water. Chop the bottom off of the head of Escarole. Place leaves in water and swish around, cleaning any silt that is still sticking to the leaves. Remove leaves from water and chop into bite size pieces.
- Fill a large pot half to three quarters full of water. Add some salt as you would for pasta and bring to boil. Blanche the escarole by placing it in the pot and leaving it there for 3 minutes. Remove from pot to an ice bath. One you have given the escarole an ice bath you can remove it to a strainer to drain the excess water.
- In a large saute pan that can be placed in the oven saute hot pepper flakes, prosciutto, onion, and garlic until onions are soft. Add the Escarole and saute for 5-8 minutes. Add the chopped cherry peppers and a tablespoon or two of their juice and enough chicken stock to make them a tad juicy. Give it a good stir to combine ingredients. Mix the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and sprinkle generously over the top. Place pan under broiler for 3-5 minutes or until bread crumbs and cheese are golden brown.
- Serve with crusty bread as an appetizer. Or over the top of sauteed chicken breast. Or use to make a pizza or Utica Greens Penne (Recipes to follow).
- You can find me elsewhere too.
My Blog-Ma's Aprong Strings: masapronstrings.blogspot.com