Greek Fish Roe Dip "Taramosalata"
Fish roe is eggs from cod (most common) or carp. For best quality fish roes vary from beige to light pink. Bright pink, usually what is sold in the stores,is from food coloring being added. Hope you give this appetizer a try and enjoy it as much as we do.
How to Make Greek Fish Roe Dip "Taramosalata"
- In a large bowl soak the bread with water. Let it soak thoroughly. With your hands or by using a cloth towel squeeze all excess water. Transfer to a bowl and set aside til need.
- In a food processor add the quartered onion, process for a few seconds, add the fish roe and continue mashing until the mixture is white. Add the soaked bread, little by little, pepper and lemon juice (depending on their acidity and your preference) Beat for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is combined and fluffy.
- Gradually pour the olive oil in slow and steady stream while beating. If your food processor doesn't have an opening, add the oil in 1/4 cup batches .Taste and adjust lemon & pepper to your liking.
Salt is not added in this recipe cause the fish roe is salty enough on it's own.
- Garnish with chopped green part od green onion, chopped parsley and /or olives.
- Serve with traditional "Lagana" a kind of flat bread made only on Clean Monday. Any other time of the year serve with bread sticks and crusted bread
- TIP: Throughout the whole process you should taste and add more or less ingrdients, judging to your personal taste.The texture should be creamy & smooth.