·salt and pepper to taste
3 largepotatoes cubed
3-16 ozcan tomatoes with juice
1bell pepper diced
1/4 lbsaly pork
3 mediumspanish onions
5 Tbspall purpose flour bowned
2whole jalapeno peppers
6 lbgopher meat
How to Make GOPHER STEW
- Carefully clean the gopher wash and drain.
- Fry down the salt pork in a big pot add gopher meat and brown.
- Take out the meat and drain on paper towels. Add onion, celery , and bell pepper to salt pork grease and saute until tender
- Add tomatoes and a bit of water if needed and cook down to a pulp,On low heat 2 hours.
- Add gopher meat 19 cups water and the 2 whole jalapeno peppers salt and pepper to taste
- Cook another 1 1/2 hour or until the meat is tender.
- Add potatoes the last 1/2 hour of cooking. Mix browned flour with water into a glass jar and shake vigorously. Bring stew back to a boil and thicken with flour mixture.
- Serve over beans or rice
- TIP: To brown flour add the 5 tablespoons to a iron skillet and stir until browned.