Neufchatel Cheese, Millie's
- cheese vat or stainless steel pot (6qt.)
- spoon, (no aluminum)
- cheesemakers cloth (this is a finer weave than what you see at the grocery store)
- big bowl or pot
- large ss colander
- 1 gal
- whole milk
- 1 pt
- cream (do not use low fat)
- 1/2 c
- cultured buttermilk (do not use low fat)
- 2 Tbsp
- diluted rennet (3 drops liquid rennet in 1/3cup cool water)
- 3/4 tsp
- cheese salt or kosher salt ground fine (do not use table salt w/iodine)
~~~~~~ SUPPLIES ~~~~~~
~~~~~ INGREDIENTS ~~~~~~
How to Make Neufchatel Cheese, Millie's
- 2When it reaches 80 degress, turn off heat and add buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of the diluted rennet. Stir, cover, then let set for 12 hours. DO NOT STIR DURING THIS TIME !
(I like to do this before going to bed.)
- 6Take it down when it reaches the thickness of softened cream cheese (8 to 12 hours). Mix in the salt or leave plain if using in a dessert. Transfer to covered container and refrigerate. Use any way you would use cream cheese.
*Use within 2 weeks.(This cheese freezes very well.)
WARNING: The whey from this cheese cannot be used to make ricotta !