Breaded Mozzarella Slices With Homemade Marinara
I've included my recipe for homemade marinara, but feel free to use your own recipe or your favorite store-bought.
Prep time does not include time needed to marinade.
- 3-4 tb. olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. dried basil or italian seasoning
- pinch of salt
- a couple grinds of freshly cracked pepper
- 8 mozzarella slices, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup italian bread crumbs
- peanut oil for frying (you can use whatever you wish. i just find for frying, peanut oil does the best job for me.)
How to Make Breaded Mozzarella Slices With Homemade Marinara
- 1Combine first 5 ingredients in small bowl. Place 1/4" Mozzerella slices in small baking dish and cover with marinade. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- 2Set up a breading station-
Bowl One: flour
Bowl Two: whisked egg
Bowl Three: Panko mixed with Italian breadcrumbs
Heat oil. Test with a small piece of bread to make sure it's hot enough.
Dab off excess oil with paper towel. Roll in flour until all sides are completely coated with a light coating of flour. This keeps your breading from sliding off. Then egg, then bread crumbs making sure to coat completely. If not covered completely with bread crumbs, you can lose your melty cheese!
- 3Fry 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melty and crumbs are golden brown. Drain on paper towels and lightly salt, if desired. To serve, sprinkle with a little chopped fresh Italian parsley. I serve with my marinara sauce, but feel free to use your own.
Crushed Tomato Marinara Sauce With Meatballs