Stuffed Mussels With Rice
Kali Orexi! Good Appetite!
3 lbfresh mussels in the shell, cleaned
1 cwhite wine, dry
5 Tbspolive oil
2medium onions, finely chopped
1 clovegarlic, chopped
1 ctomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsppine nuts
1 1/2 crice
·salt & pepper to taste
1/2 colive oil
How to Make Stuffed Mussels With Rice
- With a stiff/wire brush clean the fresh mussels, to remove any weeds, sand and trim the beard. Discard any that have already opened.
- Place mussels in a large pot 1/2 the wine. Bring to a boil, cover and steam until the shells open. Discard any that do not open. Put the mussels in a strainer to drain and reserve the liquid.
- In a skillet, heat 5 Tbsps of olive oil over medium heat and sauté the chopped onions. When the onion softens and turns translucent, add the garlic, cook a minute, then add tomatoes, pine nuts and rice. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Stir several times and as soon as the mixture browns lightly, remove from heat. Allow the stuffing to cool enough to handle.
- Stuff the already opened mussels with the mixture. Tightly tie with a kitchen string so the mixture won't fall out while cooking. Place the mussels in a wide shallow pan.
- Strain the liquid from cooking the mussels into a measuring cup, for 2/3 of a cup. Add this to the shallow pan with the remaining wine, 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup olive oil and cook (uncovered) on medium heat until the rice absorbs the liquid. Remove the strings & serve with a few lemon or orange wedges.
Kali Orexi! Enjoy!
- NOTE: Mussels can be quite salty on their own. So be cautious when adding the salt.