Stuffed Mussels With Rice
Kali Orexi! Good Appetite!
- 3 lb
- fresh mussels in the shell, cleaned
- 1 c
- white wine, dry
- 5 Tbsp
- olive oil
- medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 1 c
- tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- pine nuts
- 1 1/2 c
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 c
- olive oil
How to Make Stuffed Mussels With Rice
- 1With a stiff/wire brush clean the fresh mussels, to remove any weeds, sand and trim the beard. Discard any that have already opened.
- 2Place mussels in a large pot 1/2 the wine. Bring to a boil, cover and steam until the shells open. Discard any that do not open. Put the mussels in a strainer to drain and reserve the liquid.
- 3In a skillet, heat 5 Tbsps of olive oil over medium heat and sauté the chopped onions. When the onion softens and turns translucent, add the garlic, cook a minute, then add tomatoes, pine nuts and rice. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Stir several times and as soon as the mixture browns lightly, remove from heat. Allow the stuffing to cool enough to handle.
- 4Stuff the already opened mussels with the mixture. Tightly tie with a kitchen string so the mixture won't fall out while cooking. Place the mussels in a wide shallow pan.
- 5Strain the liquid from cooking the mussels into a measuring cup, for 2/3 of a cup. Add this to the shallow pan with the remaining wine, 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup olive oil and cook (uncovered) on medium heat until the rice absorbs the liquid. Remove the strings & serve with a few lemon or orange wedges.
Kali Orexi! Enjoy!
- 6NOTE: Mussels can be quite salty on their own. So be cautious when adding the salt.