Greek Pan Fried Shrimp "Garithes Saganaki"
This is among the most known summer appetizers on all the Greek islands. Enjoyed by adults & children alike. Don't forget the fresh bread to dip in the tasty sauce. Also a glass of ouzo is a must for adults:)
Kali Orexi! Have a good appetite!
- 2 lb
- fresh shrimp (frozen can be used)
- onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 c
- olive oil
- medium tomatoes, crushed
- 1 tsp
- tomato paste
- chili pepper, minced (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp
- sugar (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp
- chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 lb
- hard feta cheese, cut into small chunks
How to Make Greek Pan Fried Shrimp "Garithes Saganaki"
- 1If using fresh shrimp, remove the shell from the body, leaving the head and tail intact. Devein by running a sharp knife down the back of the shrimp to remove the vein.
If using frozen shrimp, defrost completely, shell and devein.
- 2In a heavy-bottomed skillet, sauté onion in the olive oil until onions are translucent. Add tomatoes, tomato paste diluted in a little water, chili pepper (if using), salt, pepper and sugar if using. Cook over low heat until the sauce thickens.
Preheat oven to 355°F (180°C).