Nachitoches meat pies - my way
After searching the web and cook books high and low I found and tried about 10 different recipes for the meat pies, but non were what I remembered.
So after a whole lot of trial and error, this is what I came up with.
These pies get better if they "set a little". so after you've made them. put them in the refrigerator for a day or two before you freeze them to let the flavors combine more.
My husband and kids take these in their lunches.
1 mediumrutabaga, diced small (1/4 inch) turnip may be substituted
2 Tbspminced garlic
1 mediumsweet onion, chopped fine
2 mediumcarrots, grated
2 mediumpotatoes, diced small
2 Tbspold bay seasoning
1 Tbspchili powder
3green onions, chopped fine
4ready made pie crust dough
1 largeegg, beaten (set aside)
1 ccheese, grated (we like swiss)
How to Make Nachitoches meat pies - my way
- Brown meat in a pan with all vegetables and seasonings using a potato masher if necessary to get the meat really fine, make sure veggies are cooked through
My family doesn't like heat spice, so your choice of sausage based on the heat you prefer.
- Drain grease off leaving no more than a Tbsp of grease in pan.
Before placing back on heat add flour, stirring to make pasty.
- Place back on heat. Drizzling and constantly stirring milk in until fully incorporated, and you have a thick gooey substance in the pan.
- Add Grated cheese and stir until melted.
Remove from heat, let cool while you prepare pie shells.
- Roll pie dough on counter and cut to make 6 inch by 10 inch squares or half circles. (you're looking to fill, fold over and seal to a 3"x5" pies)
- Add about 1/4 cup of meat to center of each pie dough cut. Fold over closed, crimp edges and place on non stick sprayed baking sheet.
- Brush with beaten egg and bake at 350 until golden brown. (about 13-18 minutes depending on your oven)