Creole Cream Cheese, New Orleans Original
I'll post pictures the very next time I make this.
- 2 gal
- skim milk (pasteurized ok, unpasteurized is better)
- 1/2 qt
- rennet tablet or 4 drops liquid rennet
- half & half (optional)
- sugar or splenda (optional)
How to Make Creole Cream Cheese, New Orleans Original
- 1Combine skim milk, buttermilk, and the ½ rennet tablet in a stainless steel pot. Using a thermometer, bring the temperature of the milk to 80 degrees, stirring constantly and hold for five minutes.
- 2Remove from heat, cover tightly and allow to sit 12 hours. Drain off the liquid, (which is whey remaining after the curds are formed), discarding this liquid or keep it to make homemade Ricotta.
Put curds into very small stainless colanders or containers with drain holes. Let remaining whey drip off of the curds for 3 hours.
- 3In 16-ounce containers pack the containers half full with the cheese solids, then top with 8-ounces of half and half cream, if desired, or just put into 8-ounce containers. Chill and serve with sugar or fruit. Creole cream cheese is excellent in ice creams and pastries.
- 4*This recipe can be used to make Creole Cream Cheese Ice Cream.
*Note: For savory cream cheese, omit the half & half and add a sprinkle of granulated garlic, granulated onion, dried or fresh chives, or any other herb that you like. Mix well and serve on celery stalks, bagels, toast, etc.