How to Cook Acorn Squash in a Microwave
Simply cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, brush with some melted butter, add your favorite herbs or spices, and microwave. Easy peasy!
Acorn squash can be pureed and added to soups and pies. It can also be chopped or sliced and added to pasta, a casserole, stir-fry, salad, etc. The list goes on and on… Try making acorn squash in the microwave and incorporate it into your cooking. It adds a festive fall flair to your favorite dishes.
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 pinches salt and pepper (or your favorite seasoning)
How to Microwave Acorn Squash1. Slice off one of the scallops on the side of the squash to create a flat area. This will prevent the acorn squash from rolling around while being cut in half.
2. Lay the squash on the flat sliced side. With a large sharp knife, cut off the top and bottom of the acorn squash.
3. Pierce the middle of the squash and cut through one of the polar ends.
4. Then turn the squash and cut through the other polar end.
5. Open the acorn squash and remove the seeds with a spoon. Discard the seeds.
6. Set on a microwave-safe dish. Pierce the squash with a fork.
7. Brush the inside of the squash, and all of the exposed flesh, with some of the melted butter.
8. Flip the squash over so they are face down. Then microwave for 6 to 8 minutes (depending on the strength of your microwave).
9. Flip the squash over. Brush with more butter. Sprinkle with a couple of pinches of salt and pepper (or your preferred seasonings depending on your prospective dish).
10. Flip back over so that it’s face down. Microwave 2 to 3 minutes more. Take the acorn squash out of the microwave. It’s ready to eat.
NotesIf pureeing the acorn squash, let it cool to touch. Then scoop the flesh out of the squash and puree it.
If chopping or slicing the squash, slice the skin from the outside of the flesh and chop or slice the squash.
However you serve it, acorn squash will become a family favorite.
Click here to save this Microwavable Acorn Squash recipe to your Recipe Box.