How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds can be roasted simply with olive oil and sea salt or can be spiced-up with garlic salt, Cajun seasoning, cinnamon sugar, or pumpkin spice and sugar… the flavor options are endless.
There are tons of snacking possibilities too. Mix them with trail mix or granola, sprinkle into a salad, or make a brittle with the roasted seeds. No matter your preference, roasting pumpkin seeds is a fun and delicious fall activity.
So, as you cut into your Halloween pumpkin don’t discard those precious seeds. Let them meet their roasted destiny. The outcome is delicious.
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp light tasting olive oil
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds1. Use a paring knife to score the pumpkin.
2. Using a serrated knife, cut along the score to cut open the pumpkin.
3. Scrape the seeds and pulp out of the pumpkin using a spoon.
4. Put the seeds and pulp in a bowl of warm water to separate the seeds.
5. Rinse the seeds under warm water to clean the pulp off the seeds.
6. Spread the seeds out on a kitchen towel. Pat them with a paper towel and let them dry for about an hour.
7. In a bowl, toss the seeds with the salt and oil.
8. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread the seeds out on the cookie sheet in a single layer.
9. Bake in the oven at 300 degrees for 30 to 45 min total.
10. After 15 minutes, take the pan out and move the seeds around so they cook evenly. Place back in the oven.
11. After 30 minutes, remove the pan and test one seed by biting it. If the crispness is to your likeness, they’re done. If not, bake for 15 minutes more. At this point, check them every 5 minutes to make sure they do not overcook and get burnt spots.
12. Once they are toasted, remove the pumpkin seeds from the pan so they stop cooking and to prevent them from burning on the pan.
Click Here for the Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe