Pinterest Pass or Fail: Fluffy Bunny Cake
But if you're not as good with piping work, we're sharing an adorable, super simple candy bunny cake made with store bought ingredients and decorated with candy.
The result, a Pinterest Pass! We think "everybunny" is going to love this cake.
What You'll NeedFor Cake
- 1 white cake mix
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 4 egg whites, beaten to a meringue
You'll Also Need
- Your favorite buttercream recipe (doubled)
- Cake board
- 4 piping bags
- Wilton's Star Tip #18
- Wilton's Tip #3
- A coupler (optional)
- Gel food coloring - Black for the face, pink for the nose and ears, plus whatever color you'd like for the bowtie (we chose purple)
Prepare the CakePreheat oven to 350 F. Mix white cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt.
Add oil, water, and sour cream. Mix well.
In a separate bowl, make a meringue with 4 egg whites.
Gently fold the meringue into the cake mix.
Pour into 2 round cake pans.
Bake 40-45 minutes until tester comes out clean.
Cool 10-15 minutes.
Invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To Decorate the CakeMake your frosting while cakes are cooling. Tint a small amount black and pink. Tint a small amount for the bow tie.
Put together on a cake board.
With frosting in a piping bag, fill in all the gaps where ever you see a gap. This also helps glue the pieces together.
Cover the whole cake with a thin layer of frosting all over the cake. This a crumb layer and it helps seal the crumbs in.
Clean the edges up with a paper towel.
Once the entire cake is covered, the crumb layer is complete. Chill it in the fridge for 1 hour.
Use a toothpick to lightly draw the face and ear outlines.
Use Wilton's #3 and black frosting to outline the eyes and whiskers. Fill in eyes using Wilton's #18 star tip.
Use pink to outline ears and nose. Then fill in with the star tip. Using a coupler will let you switch tips easily. Switch to the star tip to fill in the black eyes.
For the bowtie, use the star tip to create the tie. Add an extra layer of stars to provide dimension.
Finally, using the star tip, take your white frosting and completely cover the rabbit. It's easiest if you start in the finer areas and work your way out.
The finished product!
Test Kitchen Tips
- You do not have to make the cake we used. Just make sure your cake is sturdy enough to hold the frosting.
- Covering the entire cake does take time - a lot of it. It helps if you place the cake on a table and sit down while doing this.
- We highly recommend using a coupler on your piping bag. It easily, and quickly, allows you to switch tips.
- Don't forget to check out our super simple candy bunny cake idea too.