Coconut oil use has exploded in popularity, and for a good reason, it is extremely versatile. Harvested from the meat or kernel of the coconut palm, it provides lots of health benefits as well as practical applications.
Coconut oil is a rich source of saturated fat, but research is revealing that saturated fat may be less of a concern than initially thought, especially when compared to intakes of added sugars. Moreover, saturated fat from coconut oil behaves differently in the body than saturated fat from cheese or steak.
Another unique property of coconut oil is its medium chain triglyceride (MCT) content. This type of fat is sent to the liver immediately for processing and energy production. Research is continuing to investigate the potential application of this property in weight loss and to benefit certain health conditions.
If you want to incorporate coconut oil in your diet or life here are some of the best ways to do so:
1. Great for cooking at high temperatures.
2. Use in place of butter in recipes or on your toast.
3. Make homemade freezer dark chocolate by combining coconut oil, chocolate powder, and maple syrup to taste, then freeze.
4. Use coconut oil to seal pores on an eggshell to prolong their shelf life.
5. Add a spoonful of coconut oil to your coffee instead of creamer.
6. Lock in moisture after your shower by using it as a lotion.
7. Use in place of chemical loaded baby lotions.
8. Remove makeup with it.
9. Use it as a lip balm.
10. Oil pulling is thought to kill bacteria in the mouth and prevent tooth decay, swish one tablespoon in your mouth, after rinsing for up to 20 minutes. Spit in the trash can, not the sink!
11. It’s antibiotic properties of lauric acid make it a great substitute for Neosporin when in a pinch.
12. Use as a natural cuticle oil, massage into cuticles once or twice daily.
13. Use as a soothing foot rub for cracked heels or dry elbows.
14. Deep condition hair – let sit for 5 minutes before rinsing.
15. Help get gum out of furniture or carpet. Apply coconut oil, then freeze and see how much easier it is to get out.