Even Burt's Bees Use My Lip Balm =)
Burt's Bees was founded in the 1980's by two friends, one who raised bees and one who made candles. Combining their talents, a wonderful, all natural, healthy, product line was born that I thoroughly loved and supported.
Sadly, the company was sold to Clorox and the products were soon infused with unhealthy, cheap ingredients in order to be mass marketed.
So now, I make my own all-natural supply for pennies in about 15 minutes. =)
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- tb. solid coconut oil (available at nearly all grocery stores, near the cooking oils)
- level tb. beeswax pellets (available on amazon.com or walmart.com)
- small lip gloss sized travel containers or tins (the altoids "smalls" tins work amazingly well and look cute to give as gifts!)
- a few drops of essential oil, completely optional (we enjoy wintergreen, peppermint, almond, pumpkin spice, vanilla, citrus flavors, cinnamon, etc.) unnecessary, but nice.
- tsp. unscented sweet almond oil or vitamin e oil. unnecessary, but very nourishing for your skin. available in the vitamin aisle.
TOTALLY OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS:
3Over medium heat, melt stirring gently, until just liquefied. Turn off burner and add a few drops of your favorite essential oil. (See tips below.) Essential oils are extremely concentrated. Remember, a little goes a long way. You can always add more, but you can't take it out. I sometimes place a drop of the melted mixture on a piece of aluminum foil, wait 30 seconds and test the scent. Then, I can add a drop or two more, if needed.
5A few notes about scents and essential oils:
~Coconut oil has no scent and no flavor, so don't worry about scents clashing. I've included a photo at the left to show beeswax pellets and coconut oil. Yes, it's the same coconut oil that has become popular to cook with.
~Essential oils vary in quality and strength. They are highly concentrated. Add just a drop or two at a time to avoid adding too much. It's also a good idea to select a flavor/fragrance of something that you would eat for lip balm, such as vanilla, almond, citrus, mint, etc. Floral scents, lavender, rose, etc. probably shouldn't be used.
~Next time, if you like a little softer lip balm, add a little more coconut oil. For a firmer lip balm, add a little more beeswax. Very easily customized. Solid coconut oil starts to melt between 76-80 degrees, depending on what you add to it, which makes it perfect for instantly nourishing your lips. If your home is warmer than that, say in the summer, you could store in the refrigerator for a cool soothing summertime treat.