- Start with the rice! This will cook itself while you get ready for the other ingredients.
- Pour 2 cups of water into a medium size pot.
- Flavor it with Mexican taco seasoning (I buy it in bulk.), chili powder, and granulated garlic. Sometimes a little more salt, too.
- Then I also add butter to help the rice not to stick to each other.
- When it come to a rolling boil pour the rice in. - Reduce heat, simmer for approx. 20 mins. Check after 15.
- If it's still a little crunchy it's perfect! Take it off the heat.
While the rice is cooking start with the turkey burger. Brown in very large pan with deep sides. My favorite one is 14". 12" is fine, too, but this recipe makes a lot.
Season it with Mexican Taco seasoning and pepper. Pour 1/2 cup of water in their with a little olive oil. It helps to steam the meat a bit. Cover for about 3-4 minutes. Then break it up constantly. Turkey burger takes a LOT to season it! Don't be shy with your spices.
When the meat is done pour in the drained corn and black beans. Stir. A lot.
When the rice is done, add that, too. Stir. Always mix from the bottom up so you don't mush the rice.
Add some more spices here if you want. Add a little lime juice. Lemon is cool, too. Since the rice is a little crunchy it will soak up the remaining juices in your pan.
Finally, add 1/2 cup of green enchilada sauce. You can more if you want. Your choice! You're the chef!
Cover and let it simmer for about 3 minutes. Take lid off and stir from bottom up, flipping the ingredients gently to mix well.
You're done with the hard part! We should be at 25 minutes now. Chop your fresh tomatoes and avocados. Put them in separate bowls. These are your garnishes along with the salsa. Chop fresh cilantro in a tic-tac-toe sort of way so it's even.
Serve to your guests! My husband and I take the whole pan to the table family style. Spoon as much as you want! Seriously it's delicious. The garnishes make this dish absolutely delicious! Most likely you won't have left overs if you have a big crowd. A little rice goes a long way!