Elaine's Mediterranean Chickpea Stew
This dish is very nutritious and high fibre.. Can be served immediately but tastes best reheated and served the second day.
Featured Pinch Tips Video
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green or red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped (i prefer red but green is pretty)
- 4 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 (35-ounce) can whole peeled or diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooked couscous or rice
1Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Lower the heat, add garlic and onions and cook for 5 minutes until translucent. Add red or green peppers and cook 5 minutes more.
2Add zucchini and cook for 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, crushing them with your hands. Bring to a simmer and cook for another 20 minutes, or until zucchini is soft and translucent but still holds its shape.
3Stir in chickpeas and capers and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and then serve over couscous or rice.
Per serving (about 17oz/494g-wt.): 370 calories (70 from fat), 7g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 13g protein, 64g total carbohydrate (10g dietary fiber, 11g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 550mg sodium