Yellow Squash Soup with Zucchini Crisps
Zucchini recipe follows.
- 2 lbs lb
- yellow summer squash-1/2" pieces
- 1 large
- yellow bell pepper 2" pcs
- 4 medium
- carrots 2" pieces
- 1/2 lb
- yukon gold potatoes 2" pcs
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt or to taste, 1/4 t pepper to taste
- 4 c
- chicken or vegetable stock, canned/homemade
- 12 large
- basil leaves for garnish
- zucchini crisps to follow
How to Make Yellow Squash Soup with Zucchini Crisps
- 1Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion & 1/2 teas. salt. Cook 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Add squash, yellow pepper, carrots, potatoes to saucepan along with chicken or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until vegetables are tender. About 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes.
- 2Transfer 3 1/2 cups of vegetables to a small bowl & reserve. Working in small batches, puree the remaining soup in blender until smooth.
Note: When blending something hot only fill blender 1/3 full, put the lid on a little askew (to let hot air out). Cover blender with kitchen towel. Start on low or pulse & work up to high.
Transfer pureed soup to a bowl. Return pureed and reserved vegetables to saucepan. Add water or additional chicken/vegetable broth, if necessary, for desired consistency.
- 3Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat to just barely boil. Divide among 4-6 bowls. Garnish with fresh, chopped basil leaves. Serve with zucchini crisps. Recipe to follow.
- 4Zucchini Crisps
Heat oven to 250 degrees.
Cut 1 med zucchini into 1/2" thick slices.1 3/4 C
2/3 cups Panko bread crumbs
1 1/2 oz Parmigiano Reggio grated on box grater or Asiago cheese grated
1/3 cup Unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 teas Kosher salt
1/4 teas Pepper
1 Egg + 1 teas water, beaten
2 tbls Olive oil
In large, non stick skillet over high heat until hot & then reduce heat to med-low. Mix bread crumbs & Parmigiano cheese in small bowl. Dredge zucchini in flour, shaking off excess flour. Dip into egg & then into bread crumbs/Parmigiano cheese mixture. Fry zucchini in batches 4-5 min or until browned on both sides. Add more olive oil as needed. Drain the crisps on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet & keep warm in oven.
Serve with soup and tomato frisee salad. Enjoy.