William Conrad's Gazpacho
Photo by Bing.
- 2 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cumin
- 4 and 1/2 Tbsp
- olive oil (divided)
- 2 c
- canned tomato puree, or 8 large sun-ripened tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- scallions, peeled, sliced
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 c
- bread cubes
- chilled club soda, optional
- 1/2 large
- cucumber, peeled, coarsely chopped
- dozen small radishes, thinly sliced
- sweet red or green pepper, coarsely chopped
- chopped avocado; sliced green onion; chopped hearts of palm; chopped tomatoes; chopped red onions; etc.
OTHER GARNISH SUGGESTIONS
How to Make William Conrad's Gazpacho
- 1Mix garlic with salt and cumin. Beat in 4 tablespoons of olive oil, then combine with tomato puree and vinegar. Whirl in blender until smooth. Cover and chill thoroughly, 3 to 4 hours.
- 2Prepare croutons by frying bread cubes in remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil until golden brown and crisp. Drain croutons on absorbent paper.
- 3Pour chilled tomato mixture into 6 soup dishes. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons club soda to each bowl, if desired, and mix. Add croutons to gazpacho and serve chopped vegetables in separate bowls to be added as desired.