"SPLIT PEA SOUP" an old "MORMON TRAIL RECIPE"
Nancy J. Patrykus
I was told Brigram Young was a distant relative,on my maternal mothers side.
While in Navoo, I visited his home there, and was allowed to sit in his rocking chair..and read for the Navooo visiters, his last letter sent back to Navoo from Misouri,before the beginning of his treck with his believers to the great west.
This is my picture of the soup I made and put in the freezer last year.I had it for lunch today.
There are shorter recipes on the internet..Please try this recipe it's worth your time & flavor is outstanding!
- 1 lb
- dried split peas....(about 2 cups)....well picked over & washed.
- 10 c
- water......to soak peas with overnight
- 2 large
- smoked pork hocks
- onion...coarsly chopped
- 3 medium
- ribs celery...coarsly chopped
- 2 medium
- carrots,...pared and coarsly chopped
- garlic cloves
- bay leaf
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- thyme, dried
- 1 dash(es)
- cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
How to Make "SPLIT PEA SOUP" an old "MORMON TRAIL RECIPE"
- 11st Evening:.......Put pork hocks in a crock pot, covered with fresh water,cook on low OVERNIGHT..
Next morning:....Remove pork hocks to a platter.
When cool remove meat and skin and any fat from the bones.
Set meat aside covered in the refrigerator.
Strain crockpot broth into a bowl,let cool.
Cover and put in the refrigerator,
to cool for the next morning.
Put peas in a pot with 10 cups of water,
cover set aside OVERNIGHT.
2nd morning:....Skim most of the fat from the top of the broth.
Leave a little for the great flavor.
Drain the peas.
# 1.(Picture of Brigham Young)
- 2Put the strained broth,and drained peas into the crock pot along with onion,celery,carrots, garlic, sugar, thyme,cayenne and 8-10 cups of water.
Cook on medium about 3-4 hours.
Add the meat.Combine flour and butter to form a roux. Mix with one cup of the soup. Return this to crockpot and heat till thickened.
Serve soup hot...with a great crusted bread.
# 2.(picture in Navoo,Il.)
- 3I did add my touch to this wonderful soup...
by using pork hocks, instead of a meaty ham bone.
Also with the use of a newer invention..
the crock pot!
*** # 3. Picture of my recipe for a
wonderful crusted Bread,
and only 4 ingredients!:
"CRUSTY BREAD,overnight & no kneading"!