Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 largefresh butternut squash
1 largeyellow onion
3 largecelery stalks, diced
2 largecarrots, diced
2 Tbspfresh garlic, finely chopped
2-3 Tbspunsalted butter
2 Tbspolive oil, extra virgin
2-3 boxlow sodium chicken stock
1 Tbspfresh thyme, finely chopped
1 can(s)(or less, to taste) chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
·sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
·crumbled goat cheese
How to Make Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare shallow baking pan by covering w/ foil. Split the squash lengthwise, scrape out the seeds and strings, rub olive oil on the “meat” side of the squash and place face down on the foil. Poke some holes in the skin w/ a fork. Bake 45 min. to 1 hour, until tender. Allow to cool, then use an ice cream scoop to scoop out the meat of the squash into a bowl and set aside.
- Sauté onion, celery and carrots in unsalted butter and/or olive oil until just becoming soft, add garlic and sauté a few minutes more
- Use a potato masher on the squash, add to soup pot, add chicken stock to desired thickness, and fresh thyme. Bring to a simmer, add desired amount of chiles in adobo sauce and allow to simmer until everything is soft. I added one entire can of the chiles, left chiles whole and then pulled them out once they had plumped up and released their flavor. This left the soup quite spicy.
- Use immersion blender to make a smooth consistency, or blend in standard blender in batches. Season w/ sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Garnish w/ crumbled goat cheese to provide the perfect counterbalance for the heat.