Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
Tip: If you'd like a little extra kick in this spicy-sweet combination, use one full jalapeno pepper!
- 2 Tbsp
- real butter
- 1/2 small
- organic onion, diced
- 2 tsp
- fresh ginger, grated
- jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large
- butternut squash, seeded, peeled & cubed
- 16 oz
- organic chicken broth
- 1 can(s)
- evaporated milk
- 1/2 c
- organic half & half or whole milk
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 pinch
- salt & pepper
- 6 tsp
- sour cream for garnish, if desired
- 1 pinch
- ground cinnamon, per bowl
How to Make Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
- 1In a medium pot, add butter and saute onions, ginger and jalapeno pepper over medium heat until onions are tender. Add squash and chicken broth and bring to a light boil.
- 2Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and let mixture simmer approximately 25 to 30 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- 3Stir in evaporated milk, half & half, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer on low for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- 4Using a stick blender, puree the mixture in the pot until smooth. If a stick blender is not available, pour the mixture into a blender until 3/4 full. Cover blender and puree the entire mixture in batches until smooth. If needed, re-heat soup over very low heat, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- 5Ladle soup into bowls and drop a teaspoon of sour cream into center of each soup. If desired, draw sour cream into a swirl design on top of soup using the tip of a knife. Sprinkle 1 pinch of ground cinnamon over each bowl and serve immediately.