Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
Tip: If you'd like a little extra kick in this spicy-sweet combination, use one full jalapeno pepper!
★★★★★ 2 votes5
2 Tbspreal butter
1/2 smallorganic onion, diced
2 tspfresh ginger, grated
1/2jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1 largebutternut squash, seeded, peeled & cubed
16 ozorganic chicken broth
1 can(s)evaporated milk
1/2 corganic half & half or whole milk
1 pinchsalt & pepper
6 tspsour cream for garnish, if desired
1 pinchground cinnamon, per bowl
How to Make Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
- In a medium pot, add butter and saute onions, ginger and jalapeno pepper over medium heat until onions are tender. Add squash and chicken broth and bring to a light boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and let mixture simmer approximately 25 to 30 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Stir in evaporated milk, half & half, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer on low for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Using a stick blender, puree the mixture in the pot until smooth. If a stick blender is not available, pour the mixture into a blender until 3/4 full. Cover blender and puree the entire mixture in batches until smooth. If needed, re-heat soup over very low heat, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- Ladle soup into bowls and drop a teaspoon of sour cream into center of each soup. If desired, draw sour cream into a swirl design on top of soup using the tip of a knife. Sprinkle 1 pinch of ground cinnamon over each bowl and serve immediately.