SKINNY MINNI-STRONE (SALLYE)
You be the judge when you try it.
1 mediumwhite onion
1/2 mediumhead of cabbage
2 Tbspolive oil
1 can(s)diced tomatoes, 14-16 ounce size
2 tspfresh basil (or 1 tsp dried)
2 tspfresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
4 c(32 ounces) chicken broth (low sodium/low fat)
1 cgreen beans
1/4 cquinoa or orzo
1/2 tspeach salt and ground black pepper
How to Make SKINNY MINNI-STRONE (SALLYE)
- Clean celery and cut into 2" long pieces, place in food processor.
Peel onion, quarter and place quarters in food processor.
Peel garlic clove and add to food processor.
Pulse until coarsely chopped. Set aside.
- Cut zucchini and carrot into thin slices.
- Shred cabbage coarsely.
- Place heavy large saucepan over medium high heat. Add olive oil.
- When oil just begins to "ripple", stir in the celery/onion/garlic mixture and cook, stirring frequently until vegetables are translucent (do not brown)
- Add carrots and cabbage and continue to cook, stirring frequently just until cabbage begins to wilt.
- Add tomatoes and beef broth to saucepan, then add spices.
Add orzo or quinoa.
Turn heat down to low and simmer for 20 minutes at a low heat.
- Add water if needed to keep about 4 to 6 cups of liquid. The pasta will soak up a lot of liquid.
Add zucchini and green beans, and continue to cook for about 10 more minutes until vegetables and quinoa are tender.
- Serve while hot.