Save My Marriage Cream of Potato and Leek
Maggie May Schill
You'll see in the recipe below that I use apples,I have to ask people just to trust me on this one. It adds some sweetness, and a flavor that can't be mimicked any other way. It is a pureed soup, the skins will disappear. I keep them for vitamins.
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 medium
- (or 1 large) leeks, chopped roughly (both dark green and lighter parts,)
- 4 clove
- garlic, sliced
- 2 medium
- apples, red delicious cubed (do not remove peel!))
- 5 medium
- russet potatoes, cubed (do not peel off skin!)
- 1 large
- green bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped roughly
- 4 c
- chicken broth, low salt
- 1/2 c
- dry sherry cooking wine
- 1 1/2 c
- cream or half-and half
- 2 Tbsp
- marjoram, dried (or twice that amount fresh and minced.)
- 1/2 to 3/4 Tbsp
- chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Save My Marriage Cream of Potato and Leek
- 1In a large dutch oven or soup pot bring oil up to temperature over medium to medium-low heat.
- 2Once oil is up to temperature, add leeks and garlic to pot. Cook them until the garlic is sweating and the leeks begin to caramilze slightly. (I can not stress the word slightly enough! Do not brown the leeks.)
- 3Add sherry to the pot and deglaze the pan for about two minutes. (If the sherry is evaporating rapidly you have your heat too high, adjust heat and continue cooking. Sherry should pop, hiss and bubble as you deglaze, not float off in the air and get you drunk on it.)
- 4Add the bell pepper to the pot and cook covered for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- 5Uncover and add stock to the pot. Add potatoes and apple to the pot as well and bring pot up to a boil. Boil until potatoes and apples are fork tender.
- 6Reduce down from boil(take it off the heat), and add marjoram and chilli powder to the pot, stir.
- 7With an immersion blender, blend contents smooth. Add cream slowly to the pot as the soup begins to smooth out. This will make the soup nice and silky this way.
- 8Salt and pepper to taste.
Sever hot. It can store for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Reheats well.