Romaine Lettuce Soup
1 mediumonion, chopped
1 mediumnew potato, cut into 1/4 inch dice
2heads romaine lettuce, sliced, hard end discarded
5 cchicken broth
1/4 cchopped fresh basil leaves
·salt and pepper to taste
1 slicedeli ham, minced
1/4 cjulienned (not grated) parmesan
How to Make Romaine Lettuce Soup
- In a heavy soup pan or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Saute the onion and potato in the butter until the onion browns slightly and the potato starts to stick. Use a 1/4 cup of the chicken broth to deglaze the pan, loosening any browned potato from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the sliced lettuce, stir, and cover to steam briefly. Stir every minute or so and continue until the lettuce has thoroughly wilted.
- Add the chicken broth and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the fresh basil and process with an immersion blender. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the ham and cheese and stir very briefly. Try not to stir so much that the cheese disappears.
- Serve warm or freeze for later reheating.