- 1 1/2 kg
- or bit more than 3 pounds of pumpkin... chopped
- 2-3 large
- potatoes... chopped
- 2-3 large
- carrots... chopped
- 1 medium
- onion... chopped
- clovers of garlic... whole
- parsnip... whole
- choko... chopped (also known as chayite)
- 1/2 small
- head cauliflower broken up into florets
- 2 stick
- celery cut in half but left big so can be taken out
- 1 tsp
- sambol oelek... (chilli paste)
- ham hock, ham or bacon bones or chicken carcass or 1 cup of diced bacon
- 1/4 c
- salt and pepper
- vegeta.... (it's a dry vegetable stock powder)
How to Make Pumpkin Soup
- 1In a pot, pop the ham hock, or bones or chicken carcass with enough water to cover it. Bring to a boil, skim the surface and simmer for 30 mins... or till meat is tender (ham hock will take longer than chicken carcass or bacon bits)
- 2Peel and chop the veggies. The size of the veggies doesn’t really matter as it will be all pureed so as long as they are of a similar size it won’t matter. Put all the veggiesin the pot with the meat andtop up with enough water be just below coving it. Add the butter, salt, pepper, vegeta and sambol oelek.
You can use water or stock just becauseful not to make it too salty
- 3Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer. Skim off the froth, if any, from the top of soup. Leave the lid off as you want the stock to condense.
Once the meat and veggies are cooked, take out the celery and parsnip if you do not like them and discard. Also take out the bones or meat and take the meat off the bones and pull apart. Don't worry about this step if making with diced bacon.
Add the meat back into the veggie mix.
- 4Either ladle out the mix into a blender and puree in batches or use a wand to puree the mix, meat and all… till smooth
Mix the puree over heat with 1/4 C cream and bring to a boil again.
Serve in a bowl or cup with a splash more of cream, sprinkling of fresh chopped parsley and crusty bread. Can be frozen before cream is added.