POTATO SOUP WITH PUMPERNICKEL GRATIN
- 8 slice
- bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 c
- celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 - 1/3 c
- chopped onion
- 3 medium
- potatoes, peeled and chopped (3 cups)
- 2 can(s)
- (14 oz. ea.) beef broth
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- caraway seed (i prefer a little more)
- 4 slice
- pumpernickel bread, 1/2-inch thick
- 4 oz
- shredded swiss cheese
How to Make POTATO SOUP WITH PUMPERNICKEL GRATIN
- 1In a dutch oven over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp; remove, reserving drippings. Drain bacon on paper towels and set aside.
- 2Add celery and onion to the bacon drippings. Cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Drain.
- 3Add potatoes, broth, water, caraway seed and cooked bacon (broken into 1-inch pieces). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 4Meanwhile, place bread slices on an ungreased cookie sheet. Broil 3 to 5 inches from heat for 2 to 4 minutes or until toasted, turning once. Sprinkle each bread slice with about 1/4 cup of swiss cheese. Broil 1 to 3 minutes more or until cheese is bubbly.
- 5To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls. Top each bowl with 1 cheese-topped bread slice.