Potato Bacon Soup
This is an old fashioned soup, but it doesn't require a lot of time to simmer.
The bacon makes it specially yummy, you could add 3 cups of shredded cheddar,and make it a cheese potato soup.
- 6 c
- diced potatoes
- 1 c
- diced onions
- 5 c
- chicken stock to cover, or water
- 2/3 c
- diced celery
- 3 Tbsp
- celery tops
- 6 slice
- bacon, fried crisp, crumbled, reserve some for garnish
- 1 tsp
- each salt and pepper, or to taste
- 2 tsp
- dried parsley, plus more to garnish
- 4 c
- whole milk
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- 4 1/2 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- cold water
How to Make Potato Bacon Soup
- 1Cook bacon til crispy, drain on paper towels, and crumble.
- 2Saute onion and celery in bacon fat til bacon is translucent.
- 3Dice potatoes and cover with water or chicken stock. Add sauted onions, celery, (make sure you add some of that bacon fat too)celery tops, seasonings.
- 4Simmer potatoes til fork tender, not mushy.
- 5Mix slurry ingredients together, add to simmering potatoes, a little at a time. Use a spatula and not a spoon for this.
- 6Simmer until thickened, add milk, cream, crumbled bacon.
- 7If you want to make this a cheddar cheese soup, now is the time to add 3 cups of shredded extra sharp sheddar.
- 8Adjust seasonings at this time, ladle into soup crocks and garnish with parsley and some bacon.