Portuguese Sausage and Cabbage Soup
- 12 oz
- portuguese linguica sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick (or polish sausage)
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- 5 cups
- low-fat chicken broth
- 12-oz can
- wheat beer (hefeweisen or a similar light beer)
- 1 lb
- baby potatoes, halved
- 8-12 ounce pkg
- shredded cabbage
- 1 cup
- sliced carrots, about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tsp
- coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp
- whole allspice
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped parsley
- whole-grain mustard, for serving
How to Make Portuguese Sausage and Cabbage Soup
- 1In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir sausage often until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Spoon out and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan.
- 2Add onion and garlic to pan; stir often until limp, 3 minutes.
- 3Increase heat to high. Add broth, beer, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, coriander, allspice, and peppercorns (wrap and tie spices in cheesecloth if desired). Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender to bite, 10 to 15 minutes. Discard spices if wrapped.
- 4Stir in parsley, and then ladle soup into bowls. Serve immediately with mustard (to taste) alongside for a zesty taste boost.
- 5It's great when served with a hearty loaf of bread or dinner rolls.