OLD COUNTRY SAUERKRAUT SOUP
Recipe & Photo: Food.com
- 1 lb
- smoked sausage link with casing left on
- 1/2 c
- chopped onion
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp
- dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp
- 3 c
- 1 c
- half and half
- 1 can(s)
- (8 oz,) bavarian sauerkraut with juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh parsley, finely chopped
- may also add 1/2 - 1 cup cubed, cooked potatoes if desired
How to Make OLD COUNTRY SAUERKRAUT SOUP
- 1Chop the sausage coursely by hand or in a food processor.
- 2Transfer the chopped sausage and onion to a deep pan and saute over medium heat until the sausage is lightly browned and the onion is tender, about 10 minutes.
- 3In a small bowl, combine the flour, thyme, and pepper. Add to the sausage and brown all together until the mixture bubbles up, about 5 mnutes.
- 4Add the milk and half and half gradually, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to bubble again, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add the sauerkraut and its juice and bring to a boil. The mixture will continue to thicken. Taste for tartness and add lemon juice, if desired. Also can add salt to taste.
- 6Add parsley and serve immediately with some hot buttered pumpernickel bread.