OLD COUNTRY SAUERKRAUT SOUP
Recipe & Photo: Food.com
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 lbsmoked sausage link with casing left on
1/2 cchopped onion
1/4 call purpose flour
1/2 tspdried thyme
1 chalf and half
1 can(s)(8 oz,) bavarian sauerkraut with juice
1 1/2 Tbsplemon juice
2 Tbspfresh parsley, finely chopped
·may also add 1/2 - 1 cup cubed, cooked potatoes if desired
How to Make OLD COUNTRY SAUERKRAUT SOUP
- Chop the sausage coursely by hand or in a food processor.
- Transfer the chopped sausage and onion to a deep pan and saute over medium heat until the sausage is lightly browned and the onion is tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, thyme, and pepper. Add to the sausage and brown all together until the mixture bubbles up, about 5 mnutes.
- Add the milk and half and half gradually, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to bubble again, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sauerkraut and its juice and bring to a boil. The mixture will continue to thicken. Taste for tartness and add lemon juice, if desired. Also can add salt to taste.
- Add parsley and serve immediately with some hot buttered pumpernickel bread.