Not So French Onion Soup
I can't imagine why rest's charge so much for it, when there are so few ingredients, and it is so simple to put together.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
The good news: THIS is the kind of soup to pay big bucks for. Better news? Thanks to Jane you don't have to!
This easy, budget-friendly recipe is a sure-fire favorite. The Test Kitchen
3 Tbspvegtable oil
64 oz( 2-32 ounce) containers beef broth
2 tspbeef base
1/8 tspcrushed red pepper
1 tspblack pepper
1 tspdried parsley
1 tspworchestershire sauce
1 largebay leaf
2 sliceswiss cheese per bowl of soup
1 slicetoast per bowl of soup
How to Make Not So French Onion Soup
- Peel and slice onions 1/4 inch thick, then half them, making a half moon shape.
- Saute the onions in the butter and oil until carmelized, stirring occasionaly. My stove top it takes about 25 minutes.
- Add beef stock, beef base, and seasonings.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Set broiler to high, set rack 6 inches from heat source.
- Cut bread to fit your soup crock, toast.
- Ladle soup into oven safe crock, top with toast, then 2 slices of swiss cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted and starting to brown.