New England Baked Potato Soup
- onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 3 can(s)
- (14.5 ounce) chicken broth
- potatoes, baked, peeled and diced
- 2 c
- half and half
- 1 c
- sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 c
- sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
SLICED BACON, COOKED AND CRUMBLED/ CHIVES/ SOUR CREAM/ SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE/ HAM
How to Make New England Baked Potato Soup
- 1In a Dutch oven cook bacon until crisp; remove and crumble; set aside.
- 2If you have just cooked the bacon then cook the onions on medium-low heat in the bacon drippings until tender. If you are using leftover bacon or are omitting the bacon altogether then add about 2 tablespoons olive oil to the Dutch oven and cook the onion on medium-low heat until tender.
- 3Once tender stir in flour and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- 4Gradually add chicken broth; cook, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- 5Put in the diced potatoes and half & half. If you like your soup very chunky you can leave it as is. If you like a slightly smoother soup you can use an immersion blender to blend it.
- 6Continue to cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes and stir in the cheese and sour cream.
- 7Garnish with the bacon, chives, additional cheese, and sour cream if you’d like.